Making and responding to request

Making and responding to request



A request is asking someone to do a favor or for something. It’s important to be polite when doing so. Making and responding to a request can be done in different ways. The following lines will show you how.

Making Request

  • Could you, please…….?
  • Can you………….?
  • Will you……….?
  • Do …….(something)…… for me, please.
  • Is there any chance you could…?
  • Do …….(something)…… for me, will you?
  • Do you think you could………?
  • Could you possibly…….?
  • I wonder if you could possibly………?
  • Do you mind (verb+ing)………? (it is like saying: Is there a problem if….?)
  • Would you mind (verb+ing)………? (it is like saying: Is there a problem if….?)

Responding to request

Accepting request

  • Yes, sure.
  • Sure.
  • Yes, of course.
  • Certainly yes.
  • With pleasure.
  • Sure, don’t worry.
  • Sure, no problem.

Refusing request

  • Oh sorry, I can’t.
  • I just can’t, I am sorry.
  • I am afraid, but I can’t.
  • Certainly not.

Examples:

Speaker 1:Could you please help me with this exercise?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course.
Speaker 3: Do you mind going with me to the market?
Speaker 4: No, I don’t mind (accepting request)
Speaker 5: Would you mind giving your brother a lift downtown?
Speaker 6:Yes. (refusing request).
Speaker 7: I wonder if you could possibly repair this engine?
Speaker 8: Sure, don’t worry

Post a Comment

0 Comments