Functions


Functions or Communicative functions are ready-made sentences that help you communicate in an accurate way. Below is a list of all the functions you will need – as a 2nd year baccalaureate students – in your BAC NATIONAL EXAM.
FunctionsExpressionsExamples
1.   MAKING SUGGESTIONS-Shall we………………
-Why don’t we …………………
-How about + (gerund)……………
-What about gerund)…………………….
-Let’s………………..

– Shall we play some sport?
– Why don’t we pay a visit to Marrakech?
– How about going to the beach?
– What about going to the beach?
– Let’s have a walk in the beach?

· Accepting /Responding positively to a Suggestion
-That’s a good idea.
-That’s a good suggestion.
-Yes, Let’s do it
-What a good idea!
-It sounds a good idea
-Why not?
-Ok.
– That’s a good idea. It’s very hot
today.

·  Refusing /responding negatively to a suggestion.
-I don’t think it’s a good idea.
-I don’t think it’s a good suggestion.
-No, let’s not
-I don’t feel like it
-What an awful / bad idea!
– I don’t think it’s a good idea. The
beach is crowded today.
2.       MAKING OFFERS-Can / shall I………..
-Would you like me to…..?
-Do you want me to…..
Can / Shall I Help you with this exercise?
Would you like me to help you with this exercise?
– Do you want me to help you with this exercise?


·   ACCEPTING OFFERS
-That’s very/really kind of you.
-How nice of you!
-Yes, Please.
-Please do.
-Yes, please if you don’t mind
-Question: Can I help you?
Answer: Yes, please.


·  DECLINING OFFERS
-No, Thank you.
-Thanks. Don’t bother yourself.
-Thanks, but that won’t be necessary
‎-Question: would you like me to help you?‎
Answer: Thanks. Don’t bother yourself‎.
3.  MAKING REQUESTS






·  RESPONDING TO REQUESTS
-Could / can you / ……….Please?
-Would / will you please…….
-Could you possibly……..
-Would you mind…….
Could I possibly use your mobile phone?
would you please give me that book?
could you possibly take this with you?
Would you mind opening the window?
·         Accepting.
-yes of course.
-Sure.
-with pleasure.




Yes, of course. Here you are.

·         Refusing
– I’m afraid you can’t.
-Sorry, but you can’t.

Sorry .The battery is down.
4.  ASKING FOR OPINION-What’s your opinion about….?
-What do you think of………..?
-How do you feel about…….?

What do you think of Karim?



·     GIVING OPINION
-I think / believe………..
-It seems to me that ……….
-In my opinion ……………
-In my view ………………
  •  I believe he’s good boy
– It seems to me that he’s good boy
– In my opinion he’s good boy
– In my view he’s good boy ‎
5.   COMPLAINING






. RESPONDING TO COMPLAINTS
-I’m sorry to say this, but……..
-I am sorry to have to say this, but…
-I want to complain about……..
-I’m afraid I have a complaint about…

I’m afraid I have a complaint about the food in your restaurant.

·      Accepting
-I’m (terribly/really) sorry about that.‎
-I’m sorry. I didn’t realize it.‎
-I apologize for that.‎
-Please accept my apology.‎
·         Refusing / Declining
-I am sorry, But there is nothing we can do about it.
-We are sorry , but this is out of our responsibility

6. EXPRESSING LACK OF UNDERSTANDING-I didn’t get your point.
-I don’t understand.
-Could you repeat, please?
-I’m not sure I got your point.
-I can’t see what you are driving at.
– Could you repeat the last point in your
Presentation.  I didn’t quite understand.
7. ASKING FOR CLARIFICATION-Could you clarify this point please?
-What do you mean?
-Could you explain?
-Could you explain this point?‎
-I’m not sure I understood it?‎
8.  EXPRESSING REGRET-I ‘m really sorry
-I wish I had/hadn’t
-If only I hadn’t
– I’m really sorry I didn’t go with you to
Samir’s party.
– I wish I had gone to Samir’s party. He was angry with me.
– If only I had gone to Samir’s party.




9.   RESPONDING TO GOOD NEWS
-Wow! That’s great / wonderful
-I’m glad to hear that!
-Congratulations
-Great news!
-Incredible!
-Superb!
-Sounds great!
-Lucky you!
-Oh, how wonderful!
-I can’t believe that!




A: You know what! I got the first mark in               the last test.
B : Congratulations

10. RESPONDING TO BAD NEWS

-I’m sorry to hear that!
-Oh, dear!
-Poor you!
-My goodness!
-I can’t believe it!
-I do sympathize with you.
-Please, accept my deepest sympathy.
-I know how you must be feeling.
-That must be awful
-Oh, dear!
-Too bad!
-That’s awful / a pity / unfortunate





A: My friend had a car accident yesterday. B: Oh dear! I’m sorry to hear that!


11. APOLOGIZING (say sorry)











· ACCEPTING APOLOGY


– I’m (terribly/awfully) sorry about /
for
– I (do) apologize for
– Forgive me for
– It’s all my fault.
– I’m ashamed of…
– Please, forgive me for…
– Excuse me for …
– I’m terribly sorry for…
– Pardon me for this…


I’m sorry to say this, I broke the plate.
I’m terribly sorry; I’ll make sure they
won’t do it again.
– Please, forgive me for not doing the exercise.
That’s ok / That’s all right
Never mind.
It’s not a problem

12.  AGREEING





13.   DISAGREEING
-I (totally) agree with you.
-I share your view/idea/opinion.
-You’re right.
-Definitely.
-Absolutory right
A: I believe students who revise their lessons regularly have good grades.
B: I totally agree with you.
-I don’t agree (with you).
-I don’t share your view/ idea/point.
-You’re wrong.
-I disagree (with you).
A :I don’t think people should be involved in politics.
B:  I disagree with you .citizens should take active role in their communities.




14.   ASKING FOR ADVICE
                                              





·      GIVING ADVICE
-What do /would you advise me to do?
-What do you think I should do?
-What do you advise me to do?
-What should I do?
-What ought I to do?
-What’s your advice?
-If you were me what would you do?

-I want to learn English. What do you
advise me to do?

-I advise you (not) to do
-You should
-You ought (n’t) to …………
-You’d better (not) do
-If I were you, I would (not) do
-Why don’t you …….?
-You’d better…………..
-If you take my advice, you’ll ………..
-It might be a good idea to …….
-Have you thought about + gerund….
A: I want to lose some weight. I am getting fatter.
B: I advise you to play sports.
–          If I were you, I would play sports.
–          Have you thought about playing sport?

Post a Comment

0 Comments